Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Selection by Kiera Cass



The Selection
by Kiera Cass
Reviewed by: Baby Sister Brittany
The Sisters say: Sweet, Simple, Satisfying

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

The Selection was a fast, entertaining, romantic read that I devoured in one afternoon. It’s a fairytale meets The Bachelor meets Dystopian future. America Singer is a commoner thrust into the world of royalty by a competition to win the heart of the prince. Ironically enough, America doesn’t want to win. She’s in love with someone else back home. But the more time she spends with the prince, the closer they become.

This story didn’t have a great deal of depth. It had some angst, but not much. It was light and fluffy, and the perfect palate cleanser after much of the dark, brooding, tortuous, angst-fest books I’ve been reading as of late. The simplicity of the story drew me in from the start, and I was completely hooked.

I know some people found it to be too simple or too easy, but for me—it was just right. Probably not everyone’s cup of tea—but sometimes a girl just needs a fast, fun, fairytale romance!

It would have been nice to see more of the world-building. The caste system was interesting, but not a huge focus of the book. I have faith that we’ll see the darker side of this dystopian in future books.

My only real complaint for this book was the ending. It wasn’t a bad ending, per say, but felt a bit premature. This felt like the kind of book that could have been made a stand-alone novel, with perhaps a companion novel taking place after the competition. This might be a bit of a spoiler, but I wish I had been prepared for it. We don’t get to see the end of the competition in this first book. *wah-wah*

That’s the only thing that would keep me from re-reading this book everytime I needed a sweet, satisfying romance to pep me up. It felt like the ending was missing, since I didn’t get to know how the competition turned out.

My recommendation for this book is definitely for you to read it! BUT… it might be better to wait until closer to the release date for book 2, so that the ending isn’t as much of an issue.